INTERNAL/EXTERNAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY MUNICIPAL MAINTENANCE & FIRE SUPPORT PERSON
Full Time Position (40 hours per week)
Reporting to the Fire Chief and working closely with all municipal staff and Metchosin fire department volunteers, the successful applicant will be responsible for performing routine maintenance and minor repairs on fire department and municipal buildings, vehicles, equipment and grounds. The incumbent is required to respond to all fire department calls and emergencies during the work day, as well as issue permits, enforce regulations and provide education on fire safety to the public as required.
- High school graduation or equivalent combined with a minimum of five (5) years formal training and experience as a firefighter in a volunteer or career fire department.
- Shall reside within a reasonable response catchment area of the fire department (10km / 10 min) and be an active member in good standing with the Metchosin Volunteer Firefighter Society.
- General understanding of the Building Code, Fire Services Act and NFPA Codes
- Considerable experience in the maintenance, servicing and repair of various type vehicles, tools and equipment.
- Thorough knowledge of safety procedures, precautions, regulations and inspection routines associated with firefighting activities.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of all servicing, maintenance and repairs carried out on firefighting equipment.
- Ability to carry out a wide variety of maintenance, construction and administrative tasks as required.
- Must have effective oral and written communication skills.
- Must have a working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PPT and be able to communicate using email and other computer technologies.
- Certified Professional Firefighter Standards (NFPA 1001 Level II)
- Certified Emergency Vehicle Operator (NFPA 1002)
- Valid BC Driver’s License Class 5 with Air Endorsement (Class 3 Preferred)
- Level III certification un the First Responder Program/EMA
Preferred Training / Qualifications
- Incident Command System Level 200 (ICS 200)
- Previous experience as an officer
- Local Assistant to the Fire Commissioner
- Emergency Vehicle Technician (EVT)
- Emergency Management Certificate or EM Training
- Certified Rope Rescue Technician
- Certified Water Rescue Technician
- Certified Fire Investigator (NFPA 1033)
- Certified Fire Inspector (NFPA 1031)
- Rural Shuttle Operations (NFPA 1231)
Incumbent must be willing to maintain attendance as an active volunteer, assist with training of volunteer firefighters. The position requires you to be flexible in your day-to-day tasks and requires a high level of time management skills. You will have strong customer service abilities and a positive community driven attitude.
This is a Union position (CUPE Local 374). Salary $31.21 per hour (Pay Grade 5 Step 1).
The successful candidate must be available for work outside regular working hours. Please submit your resume in confidence, quoting competition #19/06 by Friday, September 20, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. to:
Stephanie Dunlop, Fire Chief
District of Metchosin
4440 Happy Valley Road
Victoria, BC V9C 3Z3
Applicants requiring further information may contact the Fire Chief at 250-478-1307