Open Yard Burning is now allowed within the District of Metchosin
District of Metchosin Smoke Control & Burning Guidelines
Residential Backyard Open Burning: OPEN
Incinerator Burning: CLOSED PERMANENTLY
Beach Fires: PROHIBITED
Land Clearing: PERMIT REQUIRED
Please follow these guidelines to help reduce the danger from fire and the discomfort from smoke in the community:
- Burning is permitted from October 1st to May 31st only (unless otherwise posted).
- Burning is permitted from 6am to 6pm only. Fires must be completely extinguished by 6pm – no smoldering fires.
- ONLY DRY LEAVES, TREE TRIMMINGS & RESIDENTIAL YARD DEBRIS ARE ACCEPTABLE BURNING MATERIALS – UNDER 10CM IN DIAMETER
- The burning of any construction waste, demolition debris, wet garbage, food or household waste, plastic, rubber, asphalt shingles, or other similar material is prohibited.
- A responsible person is in constant supervision of the fire
- A hose or water source is available at all times
- The fire is hot and only dry material is burned in order to avoid excessive smoke
- Do not ignite a fire in high wind conditions
- Do not use petroleum products to accelerate or sustain the fire
- Do not burn materials that have not originated from the property
Residential Backyard Open Burning – OPEN
Campfires – OPEN
BURNING OF LARGE DIAMETER DEBRIS <10CM – WITH PERMIT
VENTING INDEX: 1-888-281-2992 or click here to view online