Open Burning is prohibited within the District of Metchosin.
Campfires are still allowed (2’x2′ – out by midnight)
Should you have any concerns, questions or complaints – please call or email.
As cases of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in BC continue to increase, the BC Centre for Disease Control recommends implementing measures that help to reduce excess air pollution in populated air sheds across the province. There is strong evidence that exposure to air pollution increases susceptibility to respiratory viral infections by decreasing immune function. This means that:
Deterioration in air quality may lead to more COVID-19 infections overall,
Deterioration in air quality may lead to more cases of severe COVID-19 infections, adding further demand to our healthcare system, and
Improvements to air quality may help to protect the whole population from COVID-19 and its potentially severe effects.
While the focus should remain on social distancing to prevent the spread of infection and reduce the number of cases, keeping our air as clean as possible will also help to protect the population during this difficult period.
District of Metchosin Smoke Control & Burning Guidelines
Residential Backyard Open Burning: CLOSED
Incinerator Burning: CLOSED PERMANENTLY
Campfires: ALLOWED ON PRIVATE PROPERTY
Beach Fires: PROHIBITED
Land Clearing: CLOSED
Please follow these guidelines to help reduce the danger from fire and the discomfort from smoke in the community:
- Burning is permitted from October 1st to May 31st only (unless otherwise posted).
- Burning is permitted from 6am to 6pm only. Fires must be completely extinguished by 6pm – no smoldering fires.
- ONLY DRY LEAVES, TREE TRIMMINGS & RESIDENTIAL YARD DEBRIS ARE ACCEPTABLE BURNING MATERIALS – UNDER 10CM IN DIAMETER
- The burning of any construction waste, demolition debris, wet garbage, food or household waste, plastic, rubber, asphalt shingles, or other similar material is prohibited.
- A responsible person is in constant supervision of the fire
- A hose or water source is available at all times
- The fire is hot and only dry material is burned in order to avoid excessive smoke
- Do not ignite a fire in high wind conditions
- Do not use petroleum products to accelerate or sustain the fire
- Do not burn materials that have not originated from the property
Residential Backyard Open Burning – CLOSED
Campfires – NOW OPEN
BURNING OF LARGE DIAMETER DEBRIS <10CM – CLOSED
VENTING INDEX: 1-888-281-2992 or click here to view online